The third evening was to photograph the Andromeda Galaxy. Something i learnd meanwhile was: Longer exposure times and longer exposure time in general. At least in comparison to the days before i did some longer and more exposures. And i tested the trial version of PixInsight using some guides from the web.
I took about 90 photos. About 2/3 of them at 60s and the other third at 120s exposuretime. I had to sort out a lot of them, since I still did not guide, yet. All photos at ISO 1250. It’s clear, that i was still in my wild experimenting time.
Reading a few guides on the web using PixInsight and after finding a worflow using it for the Andromeda Galaxy i came out with this result:
The Horsehead Nebula
I took some shots of the nebua that evening. After my first viewings of the material i sorted it out already.
I had 25 Photos with different exposure time. All between 30s and 300s.
As the Orion Region comes closer to the horizon by end of march, i decided not to take any other photos of Barnard 33 until next season. Therefor i decided to process the few material with PixInsight. With a look at the exposure time, i really like the result and cant wait to go for the nebula again next season.
In December i re-stacked the material for fun with Affinity Photo. The result is different, but not really better. Missing data stays missing data 🙂
Well, the problems to solve in future became even more:
- Mount and telescope alignment – it gets better and better
- Star alignment – this starts driving me crazy
- still no guiding
- too short exposure time
- post processing
- Horsehead Nebula and unmodded EOS is not the best combination
There is a lot to learn and to master, and even more things not listed here yet …